The Arrowhead Framework vision and objective
The vision is to enable collaborative automation and industrial IoT. The objectives of the Arrowhead Framework are to meet the following requirements:
- Enabling interoperability between IoT components.
- Building System of Systems, SoS, from individual IoT components.
Moreover, the creation of IoT-based automation system of systems put emphasis on:
- The real-time system properties
- High level of device, system and network security
- Ease of engineering within these automation systems
The Arrowhead Framework has taken the following strategies to address there objectives and thus go towards the vision. Interoperability is addressed by abstracting IoT' components and their functionalities into services. Thus:
- Services are the abstraction of communication: information exchange (i.e. open-source interface descriptions).
- There are no hardwired connections: services are loosely coupled between service providers and service consumer.
- Late (runtime) binding: the consumers utilize the Arrowhead core systems to obtain connection information.
Moreover, the creation of industrial cyber-physical system of systems is addressed by the introduction of the concept: local clouds. A local cloud is characterised by having the following mandatory services:
- Capabilities for registering and discovering of services within the local cloud
- Authorisation and authentication and of service exchanges between service producers and consumers.
- Orchestration of service exchanges between producers and consumers, i.e. orchestration of System of Systems.
The creation of IoT based automation is further supported by Arrowhead Framework core systems. HERE In addition there are proposals on how to address interoperability and translation of semantics.